This course, Oxygen First Aid for Aquatic Emergencies, or Aquatic Oxygen Provider, represents training designed to educate the public to recognize possible aquatic related injuries and to provide emergency oxygen first aid while activating the local emergency medical services (EMS) and / or arranging for evacuation to the nearest medical facility.
Participants must demonstrate mastery of the following objectives to successfully complete the course:
- Describe the role and function of the cardiac and respiratory systems in the human body.
- Identify and describe the major causes of aquatic accidents.
- Describe the mechanisms of drowning.
- Describe the benefits to the victim of using oxygen first aid
- Demonstrate the set up and use of the emergency oxygen equipment used in this course.
- Demonstrate rescue breathing and one-rescuer CPR.
- Identify the indications for supplemental oxygen first aid use.
- Demonstrate the first aid response for a non-breathing swimmer.
- Demonstrate the first aid response for a breathing swimmer.
- Demonstrate the first aid response for a swimmer who stops breathing during care.